Hrm… Okay, so I’m still playing catch-up on posts, which means I think it might be time for the writerly equivalent of the puzzled shrug…that old slacker favorite, the list:
- I read a few news bits over the last couple of days about the State of the Union. More specifically, about postponing or cancelling the thing because of the government “shutdown.” To these pieces — and to the concept of delaying/cancelling — I say, “Well, duh.” Is there a more pointless or pathetic example of kabuki theater than the freaking State of the Union? For a long, long time the damned thing was just a letter sent to Congress, not the spectacle of imperial excess and extravagance that we have now. Shit, all the Constitution requires is “notification” to Congress of the state of the union (note the lack of capitals!). What it does not require are speeches carefully scripted and crafted with *wait for applause* moments. What it does not require is the expenditure of millions of dollars on something we already know will be cheered by one team and booed by the other, regardless of content or message. What it does not require is empty pomp and circumstance and ceremony from 500+ people who can’t even do their fucking jobs.
- Ahem. Rant over. Thanks for your patience.
- Britain and the EU. Oh, Britain and the EU… As a history-nerd, I absolutely love the political maneuvering and shenanigans on display. As an English history-nerd, I am completely appalled by the sheer incompetence on display. I mean…shit…how in God’s name can you make the US Congress look like freaking workaholic geniuses?!?! Churchill isn’t turning over in his grave, he’s off getting pass-out drunk. Every single person at Westminster — both government and opposition — should be happy his ghost is just doing that, by the way…otherwise he’d be stalking the halls with an ectoplasmic tommy gun, taking them all out.* Look, I love both England and Europe as a whole…but the EU is an idiocy. As a trade union, it’s great. As a common market, it’s perfect. As the “ever closer union” trying to force 27 very, very different nations/peoples/societies/cultures to turn into some bastard-mutant-child of the worst parts of France and Germany, it’s nothing more than the rankest insanity. Unfortunately, like every single example in history of “technocrats” and “elites” who “know better,” who know “what’s good for you,” they won’t — they can’t — let even one single person slip from their control…
- *Churchill 2: He’s Back, And He’s Pissed! — hey, I’d pay to watch it!
- It’s gonna snow again in a couple of days…and I can’t freaking wait. After the last dumping, I took off for a moderate off-trail hike. Now, it can be hard in Colorado to find “untrammeled wilderness” without having to go deep into the mountains, but a nice knee-deep coating of snow with no footprints from anything or anyone but the wildlife is a nice freaking start. I’m getting the itch again, by the way, for one of those 6-month jaunts off to…err…well…nowhere in particular. Go back to Krakow or Tallinn or Prague as an illegal alien, working tour gigs and bartending…or hike the Pacific Crest Trail…
- Yep, there’s a song for #5 too!: